The full name of the specialty is otorhinolaryngology; the full term otorhinolaryngology literally means "the study of ear and throat".
Practitioners are called and professionally designated by the more accurate term otolaryngologists–head and neck surgeons, as specialists trained in otolaryngology are experts in surgical conditions of the head & neck. Some people refer to it simply as head and neck surgery.
Some ENT surgeons have advanced fellowship training in Pediatric Otolaryngology or Facial Plastics or several other disciplines.
Otolaryngologists are medical doctors (MD, DO, MBBS, MBChB, etc.) who, in the United States, complete at least five years of surgical residency training. This is composed of one year in general surgical training and four years in otolaryngology–head and neck surgery; in the past it varied between two and three years of each.
Following residency training some otolaryngologists elect to complete advanced subspeciality fellowship training which can be 1–2 years in duration (pediatric otolaryngology, neuro-otology, laryngology, facial plastic and reconstructive surgery, rhinology, or head and neck oncology).
|Head and neck||Facial plastics||Otology||Neuro-otology*||Rhinology/sinus||Laryngology||Pediatrics*||Sleep*|
|Surgical oncology||Facial cosmetic surgery||Ear||Middle and inner ear||Sinusitis||Voice therapy||Velopalatine insufficiency|
|Reconstruction||Maxillofacial||Hearing||Temporal bone||Allergy||Phono-surgery||Cleft lip and palate|
|Endocrine surgery||Trauma||Skull base||Anterior skull base||Airway|
|Dizziness||Apnea and snoring||Vascular malformations|
(* Currently recognized by American Board of Medical Subspecialties)
Topics in otolaryngology, head and neck surgery
Head and Neck Oncology
- Squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity, pharynx and larynx
- Oral cancer
- Skin Cancer of the head & neck
- Thyroid cancer
- Endocrine surgery of the head and neck (thyroidectomy, parathyroidectomy)
- Microvascular free flap reconstruction
- Skull base surgery
Otology and neuro-otology
- acoustic neuroma
- Hearing loss
- Otitis externa – outer ear or ear canal inflammation
- Otitis media – middle ear inflammation
- Otitis interna – inner ear inflammation
- Perforated eardrum (hole in the eardrum due to infection, trauma, explosion or loud noise)
- Ear surgery
Rhinology pertains to sinus diseases and the anterior skull base.
- Caustic ingestion
- Cricotracheal resection
- Laryngotracheal reconstruction
- Myringotomy and tubes
- Obstructive sleep apnea – pediatric
- Spasmodic dysphonia
- Cancer of the larynx
- Vocology – science and practice of voice habilitation
Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery
Facial plastic and reconstructive surgery is a one-year fellowship open to otolaryngologists and plastic surgeons who wish to specialize in the aesthetic and reconstructive surgery of the head, face, and neck.
- Rhinoplasty and septoplasty
- Facelift (rhytidectomy)
- Injectable cosmetic treatments
- Trauma to the face
- Skin cancer (e.g. Basal Cell Carcinoma)
At Red Rock Surgery Center, here in Las Vegas, we have surgeons that can address the vast majority of these conditions. Just call for a referral 702-227-5848